Recollections of an Old (but young at heart) Oswestrian, circa 1952 - EPISODE 13, WOUNDED IN ACTION

The Memorial Hall, built in commemoration of Old Oswestrians who bravely gave their tomorrows for our today in two world wars, was finally declared open by the Headmaster of Shrewsbury School on 11 December 1954.

From start to finish, the five year scheme had taken several twists and turns before its completion, and in the process provided the boys with a fascinating free show as the fearless 'Spider Men' constructed the steel framework of the building. Boys being boys, we were all awaiting the dramatic moment when one of these daredevils would fall off, but of course, to our chagrin, it never happened and no blood was spilled in the battle to open before Christmas.

Blood, my blood, was spilled in considerable quantity, but accidentally, and definitely not in anger, in a different kind of battle! 

The day of the annual Triangle race arrived, and with building work on the Memorial Hall in full flow, the starting point of this prestigious race was moved to the main road, just beyond the Last Day sign, with juniors lining up at the front.

113 boys started the race, which was immediately reduced to 112 as I was pushed from behind by an over eager competitor, and trampled under foot as the whole field swarmed past and over my prostrate body. I still have the scars on my knees to this day since they bore the brunt of my weight as I hit the rough textured road surface, leaving me bleeding profusely. My first Triangle in Upper School ended abruptly and ignominiously as I was helped into Matron's surgery whereupon she administered her ubiquitous panacea, Iodex. Unfortunately, this application failed to remedy my little problem and after 24 hours, still bleeding and unconvinced by Matron's treatment, I made my way across Upper Brook Street to be ministered to by the lovely nurses at the Cottage Hospital.

Cottage Hospital in the background, taken from the Maes-y-Llan in 1957.
David Pickup (left), Ken Mottershead (right)

My unexpected arrival was treated very sympathetically, and I basked in the attention of the nurses who made a real fuss of me. So much so, that I am not ashamed to say I made the most of it, as I was as reluctant to leave as they seemed to be to let me go. 

After patching me up, literally, I limped back to school with instructions to Matron regarding follow-up treatment. Pip Narroway, one of my heroes, repeated his victory of the previous year by winning the race in 11 mins 24 secs, and I was astonished to see on my return to school that, fresh out of the Prep Department, four boys from our class finished in the first 44! Confirming their 'racers' status, twins Danny and Parker came a spectacular 38th and 42nd respectively, two of the youngest boys in the school. Karl Scorer, another star in the making, came 72nd, winning the Triangle 3 years later (and in the same later race I overtook 'Mini' Manford on the playground to come in 2nd place). Danny KR Jones was 7th. Future line ups for the race had Seniors starting at the front and Juniors at the rear of the pack in an attempt to avoid such accidents.

It is worth mentioning that Narroway won the Victor Ludorum on Sports Day by a considerable margin, and a pre-war custom of the presentation of cakes to winners of the tug-o-war and the relay race was also revived. I was fortunate to be part of this relay team in 1957.  The cake was dreadful!

Oswald relay team: J 'Nuff' Eastwood, Tony Burton, David Pickup, Peter Ashworth
 

Peter Ashworth was also a very talented cricketer who, along with his younger brother Trevor, went on to play cricket for his home town Rawtenstall in Lancashire League cricket.

The objective of achieving completion of the new school building by the end of 1954 came to fruition much to the delight of us all as, in addition to the prospect of using its facilities, we also got our playground back in its entirety.

At the conclusion of proceedings to declare the Hall open,  Mr Williamson thanked the Headmaster of Shrewsbury School and, commenting that the opening of The Memorial Hall was an event of great significance for Oswestry School, expressed a hope that boys fortunate enough to enjoy the use of the building would always remember the ideals and aspirations of the men whose sacrifice its erection commemorates.

Headmaster, Mr Ralph Williamson


Comments